Saturday, February 6, 2010

365 Recipes - #25 - Garlic n' Bacon Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Vs. Smashed


I don't know about you, but I grew up saying "mashed" potatoes... Now there is this whole new wave of cooks calling them "smashed"... and you know.... is slowing driving me crazy. OK so they are "smashed" but I've been "mashing" potatoes since I was a little girl... and I own a potato "masher" so there :-P

BACON! Who doesn't love bacon?

The Line Up :
6 Red Skin Potatoes
3 Tbs of minced garlic
6 Strips of Bacon
8 Laughing Cow Original Creamy Cheese
A Splash of Heavy Cream
2 Tbs of Butter
Salt
Pepper

Start with the potatoes.

I chopped them up, it really doesn't matter how, just as long as they are small pieces so they cook up quick.

Then I added the minced garlic.

I then poured in the water... Now I wondered why I put the garlic in during the boiling part... but I found later that this way the garlic flavor is there, but it does not take over the whole dish...

You ready to laugh???? I never even thought about cooking bacon on the George Forman until I saw the episode of "The Office" where Michael burned his foot on the grill in bed. Ok "ew" foot bacon? HA! Then not to long after that I was watching the Food Network's Alton Brown discussing the best way to cook bacon... and this is the BEST way to cook bacon. I didn't burn it, I didn't dry it out, and it wasn't saturated in oils...

Lay out the bacon on paper towel to absorb the extra oils and fatty juices.

I love these little cheeses... so rich and creamy ! Perfect for mashed potatoes.

I drained out all the water and left the garlic and potatoes in the pot.

I added all the cheese...

And then the butter...

Then I took my potato "masher" ;-) and mashed away...

Once you get the potatoes half mashed, pour in some cream... the amount I put in was done by eye... I just added a little bit at a time until it was creamy with out being liquidity.

Mmmm bacon ! I chopped up the bacon and then folded it in to the potatoes.


And sprinkled a bit on top. YUMMMY !

Enjoy !

Recipe #25, 340 more to go.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment