Monday, January 4, 2010

Mustard

I didn't start today out on a mission to learn about mustard... it just happened... Just a random happenstances. You see I was looking up some more recipes to do for this blog and I found that a lot of the "simpler" recipes call for Dijon Mustard. Ugh! I thought to myself. I absolutely dislike mustard. There is something about it, the spice or the fact that if you get even a single drop on you, you've stained your clothes.

After a tall pile of discarded recipes, do to the inclusion of Dijon Mustard, I decided to do a little research on the stuff. (insert here the "Dijon Mustard" photo I thought I would find off of say... the www.dijonmustard.com website. But do you know there is no such thing?) After a quick google search I came upon "Wikipedia" and there was all the information I needed to know. Including the fact that Dijon is not a brand. (HA go figure) but rather a type.

After reading the first few sections I have actually changed my feelings on mustard. It really shouldn't get the bad rap I always throw at it. Maybe I will try some on my next hot dog... maybe....

But for now I will venture to the store and buy a bottle, I don't want to limit myself to some yummy recipes just because I boycott the stuff....

Oh yeah, here is a little odd fact... Did you know that mustard can last FOREVER in the fridge. OK maybe not forever but definitely for a long long time. (Insert "I'm SORRY MOM for tossing out the 2 bottles of mustard because I thought 6 months was WAY to long to keep it") Here is a little history lesson on Dijon Mustard (starting with the fun shelf life facts I wish I knew about a few weeks ago!)

Please note, I do not take credit for the information below it can all be found at www.wikipedia.com

______________________________________
Mustard Storage and shelf life

Because of its antibacterial properties, mustard does not require refrigeration; it will not grow mold, mildew or harmful bacteria. Unrefrigerated mustard will lose pungency more quickly, and should be stored in a tightly sealed, sterilized container in a cool, dark place. Mustard can last indefinitely, though it may dry out, lose flavor, or brown from oxidation. Mixing in a small amount of wine or vinegar will often revitalize dried out mustard. Some types of prepared mustard stored for a long time may separate, causing mustard water, which can be corrected by stirring or shaking. If stored for a long time, unrefrigerated mustard can acquire a bitter taste.

CHECK OUT the HISTORY section at the above link as well... lots of fun mustard facts... well that is if you are interested :-D

_______________________________________


Here are a few other random pages.

Like... did you know there was a Mustard Museum ?

Random Mustard Fun Facts


.

No comments:

Post a Comment