Saturday, January 9, 2010

365 Recipes - #9 - Barbara's Meatballs

Meatballs.... something I was always afraid to try. All my Italian friends mom's and grandma's can make the best meatballs... who am I to try to make one to compare? Well I had to try. And since I had some left over ground beef I thought I would.

I hate to say it, but alas I forgot to actually measure my ingredients ! Ugh. Bare with me, maybe some day I will redo these meatballs and actually take note... But I do have photos of each step... so you can kind of guess from there.

The line up :
Ground Beef
Italian Bread Crumbs
Grated Parm. Cheese
Salt
Pepper
Italian EVOO
Basil
Oregano
Minced Garlic
Dry Onion flakes
Your Favorite Tomato Sauce (I used Bruschetta because it was chunky, I like chunky)

I took my left over ground beef (although I don't remember it being so pinkish blue!)

For the salt, I had a salt grinder and made about 6 grinds.

For the pepper... about six grinds too

Since I was using only ingredients from the spice rack tonight... I used these dry onion flakes, maybe about 2 tables spoons.

You want to smell the best Organic Oregano ever? Then you have to talk to my friend Cynthia... She grew this oregano in her spice garden and was such a dear to dry some up and give me a sample.... I used about a table spoon here. I also added about a table spoon of Basil.

Then I put in a HEAPING teaspoon of minced garlic. I have this stuff that is pre-minced in a jar in the fridge... I love it!

For the olive Oil I used this Italian EVOO I bought from Trader Joe's... GREAT STUFF ! About 2 tables spoons. (if you mix becomes too dry later, you can always add more, but you shouldn't have to add too much more)

Then I poured a good amount of Italian bread crumbs in the bowl.

And a heaping pour of parm. cheese.

Then the most important step... remove rings... trust me, you don't want to pick raw meat out of your jewelry later ;-)

Mix it all up.

I really didn't have to add too much EVOO and see, it's still very moist.

Then roll up each ball, I think mine were about 1 tablespoon size.

Place them on a baking sheet, oil the sheet so they don't stick.

Then stick them in the broiler on "normal" for 5 minutes... and don't do what I did... don't go up to your computer and check out your favorite foodie blogs... because you may just burn the meatballs... 5 minutes isn't as long as you think ! :-D

Then place the meat balls in your favorite sauce and let them simmer warm until you need to serve them, or for at least 15 minutes.

YUM! I'm very proud of my first attempt at Italian (everything off the spice rack) Meatballs....
I hope you enjoy!

Recipe #9, 356 more to go.

2 comments:

  1. Those meatballs are absolutely stunning. And kudos for using the homegrown and dried oregano. Much better than store-bought.

    Since you're using homegrown ingredients, would you like to enter this post in our Grow Your Own roundup this month? Full details at

    http://chezannies.blogspot.com/2010/01/rambutans-plus-grow-your-own.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you !
    I'll have to check that out. :-)

    ReplyDelete