Friday, August 28, 2009

Peach Cobbler Pt. 1 of 3 - Crumb Topping

These crumbs seem to be pretty versatile. As you can see here I am using them on my peach cobbler, so they go on any kind of cobbler, maybe even the top of an apple pie, or the crumbs on a crumb cake? Any way you use them, they come out very yummy.

The most perfectly light and fluffy and low fat crumb topping you'll ever eat...

BAHAHAHAHA Kidding... but they are perfect crumbs, but no where near low fat! :-D

Start with flower.

You'll need one cup. Measure it off in a dry measuring cup, then toss it in to a bowl.... Well don't TOSS it or your kitchen will go up in a puff of white powder... :-D

Then you'll need some sugar. I have these air tight canisters I keep my sugar in, and they are amazing. Simple yet so smart. And they have their own little spoon attached for easy use.

Now measure off 1/2 cup of sugar and toss that in to the bowl too.

Ahhh look... another canister being useful.. This one has my brown sugar in it. VERY useful, for those who don't know, brown sugar will harden very quickly if you don't seal off the air. When this happens you'll go to use your sugar, and all you'll have is a brown sugar brick.... anyway...

Measure off a 1/2 cup of packed light brown sugar

Drop that in to the bowl. POOF a little powder in the air. :-D

Next up is the cinnamon. Measure off a 1/2 tbs.

Pour that in with the rest. Mmmm starting to smell yummy.

Then measure off 1/2 a tsp of ground Nutmeg.

I LOVE NUTMEG.

Christmas time when eggnog is around and all those yummy Christmas coffees at Starbucks... I load this stuff on. It is a very warm and fuzzy holiday flavor for me. (add more if you like, I did! ;-) )

Then for the random ingredient... I always find there is one random ingredient in baking or cooking. Something I would have never thought of... like SALT in a dessert, but then, that is why I'm here learning....

So sprinkle in 1/4 tsp of salt.

Now for the healthy part of .... well... the not so healthy part of the crumbs....

BUTTER!

Butter is the glue to the crumbs, so you need to use a lot.

I hate to say it, but you'll need to mix in 8, yes my friends, 8 table spoons of butter. In other words, the entire stick of butter....

It's ok to sit down here... I did.

Ok, now back to the bowl. Take a fork or a pastry cutter and cut in the butter.

Keep going, all the dry ingredients will mix in to the butter, you just have to keep working it.

When you are all finished place the bowl in the fridge to prevent it from melting....

Now on to the peaches..........

No comments:

Post a Comment